Saturday, August 21, 2010

I bought a home before I was married and now my husbands ex wife wants to go after house for old debt to her?

My husband owes his wife money out of old debt they settled in their divorce papers. He has been out of work for a while, I have even been paying child support just so he doesn't fall behind. Meanhwile, she decided we are hiding something so she is now threatening to go after the house.


I bought the house with my money before we were married, I am the only one on the title and have made every single mortgage payment myself. Can she try to go after my house? We live in Illinois.I bought a home before I was married and now my husbands ex wife wants to go after house for old debt to her?
She can try; she's full of crap. Not a law in the country wold let her lien YOUR property.I bought a home before I was married and now my husbands ex wife wants to go after house for old debt to her?
She can't touch it.


Maybe if you had bought it with your husband she could get something and even that is iffy. Tell her to go leech off of somebody else.
I don't know about Illinois, but in NC, as soon as you married your husband, he acquired marital interest in the property. If and when you sell the house, he will have to sign the deed to the new owners.


The ex-wife is a leech, but if the laws there are like here, she can go after it.
Maybe, you are better off getting a lawyer asap. know in my state the answer would be no.
I dont know exactly, but I've heard of people turning cars and houses over to one person so that the property cannot be taken.





You could get legal separation or something.

No comments:

Post a Comment