Saturday, August 21, 2010

I am married but my wife lives overseas. For tax purposes, what is my status: single or married?

My wife does not yet have a visa to come to the U.S. I am still petioning her. We got married in July in her country. For tax purposes, am I single or do I file married but separate returns?I am married but my wife lives overseas. For tax purposes, what is my status: single or married?
Your marital status on December 31 determines your filing status. You are married and can file married jointly or married and filing separately.I am married but my wife lives overseas. For tax purposes, what is my status: single or married?
Married. But file separate. However, she is not in the USA and has not earned any money in the USA and if that remains true for the rest of 2007, she will not have to file at all)





Next year file joint.
Married filing separately.
Your marital status on 12/31 determines your filing status for the year. Your choices will be Married Filing Jointly or Married Filing Separately. To file a joint return with your non-resident alien spouse she will have to agree to have all of her world wide income subject to US taxation. She'll also need an ITIN since she's not eligible yet for an SSN. You can attach form W-7 to your first joint return to request the ITIN. Mail that return to the Austin, TX service center.

No comments:

Post a Comment